What does success look like?
• We served almost 200 students over a decade.
• 100% of our program participants graduated from high school.
• 100% apply for FAFSA and access all the financial aid they are entitled to and qualify for.
• 100% were accepted to college.
• As of 2015, 67% graduate from college.
Behind the Results
Grit. Drive. Stick-to-it-tiveness. Call it what you will, the single best indicator of success we see is a deep motivation to acquire a college education and an improved life. Despite their circumstances, our students demonstrate extraordinary persistence, resilience, and a driving ambition. They take, and re-take their SAT and ACT tests. They often hold down part-time jobs and volunteer positions in their communities. Most are leaders on-campus, and almost all participate and excel in competitive sports. They apply for multiple scholarships, enter speech and essay contests, and pursue internships that will enrich their perspective and experience. They may not have the highest GPA, but they are laser-focused on their future.
Learn more: 2013 MacArthur Fellow Angela Duckworth gave a TEDTalk on grit in which she stressed the importance of determination in academic achievement.